Image Map

Monday, July 30, 2018

Science in the Classroom

Since this is a favorite, I had to once again write about my science-themed, super adorable, lap book that you can use for an assortment of science topics, making it versatile and adaptable for any classroom. I worked to make the foldables as generic as possible. The templates I designed are indicative of how I incorporate these into the classroom. I have also designed templates that are blank so you can be as creative in your own lessons as you want to be. 
The sky’s the limit here!


 As educators, we all know how important science is and how incorporating engaging science lessons and experiences into our curriculum is essential. Often science is one of those subjects that is taught in a straightforward and formal way. I like to think that it doesn’t need to be so systematic and rigid My teaching style exemplifies that and I am sure that other educators feel the same about their teaching styles. STEM is something we are hearing about even more in our schools as it addresses the need for all students to have a broader and more holistic education in the important areas of science, technology, engineering, and math. It is my goal to help my students fall in love with science. I want them to create meaningful learning opportunities for them and help them think like a scientist. 

As a passionate educator, I make it my mission to provide quality lessons and learning experiences to incorporate these important subjects into my teaching as often as possible. I work to creatively intertwine science into other subjects for cross-curriculum learning experiences, too. In addition, teachers have a unique understanding of our students’ need for hands-on and interactive class materials and opportunities. My students like to explore, uncover, unearth, and come to their own fun conclusions. I am honored to help facilitate that! They thrive on lessons that allow them hands-on experimentation.

Using the materials that I have created, they can reflect on their own work, creating a personalized project. This makes it fun and exciting for them as they record their own scientific experiences in a way that is meaningful to them. I am then able to assess their work in a way that meets each student where he or she is at.  As a teacher, one challenge that I am faced with is creating lesson materials that reach all of my students while still relating to the state standards. Plus, I need to make sure my students are always having fun! I strive to create a diverse learning experience for each student while still maintaining the integrity of the lesson. Science is no exception and this lap science-themed lap book meets this goal.

Another great aspect of creating science materials for my classroom is that I am able to incorporate other subject matter into my science lessons in a subtle way. The science-themed lap books I have created incorporate other subjects in a way that accommodates the unique needs of a diverse classroom of students. For example, many of my students are more successful with hands-on and visual components. The lapbook not only provides this, but allows them to explore the world and subject matter in a way that helps them think like an actual scientist. Scientists conduct research to learn. With this creative lapbook, students can act like a mini-scientist, by asking questions and organizing their thoughts. This science activity not only helps keep my children engaged, but it also allows them to personalize their scientific process and provides an interactive, scientific learning experience.


               

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!